Activity Guide: Literature Activity Guide for Aunt Flossie’s Hats
Aunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard is the beautiful story of Sarah and Susan and their wonderful Aunt Flossie. 7Sisters Literature Activity Guide for Aunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) is a fabulous family read-aloud that guides younger elementary students through developmentally-appropriate phonics and comprehension skills.
Elementary Literature Activity Guide forAunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) is designed to teach and/or reinforce necessary skills for students who are in the process of learning to read. Each 7Sisters activity guide helps young readers practice individual skills while maintaining an appreciation of the literature. Good readers love reading!
Synopsis: Aunt Flossie shares the stories behind some of her hats with her two grandnieces. She remembers times past as she was growing up in Baltimore. The girls act out those events in her living room. Will they go out for crab cakes later?
Readability Level: middle of 3rd grade
7 Sisters' Elementary Literature Activity Guide forAunt Flossie’s Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) includes:
- Comprehension skills: Setting/Time
- Phonics component: long and short "a" sound
- Story Elements: Children identify elements common to all fictional stories
- Phonics / Grammar: Students practice a skill with a sorting activity using words from the story itself (plus a few others thrown in, for good measure)
- Vocabulary: Young readers learn new words using the “Roll’em & Read’em” activity sheet
- Comprehension: Children develop their skills using an activity sheet based on the book
- Research: Students are encouraged to further study topics related to the story
7Sisters' Elementary Activity Guides are by Wayne Thorp, a veteran elementary school teacher with over thirty years experience teaching grades one through three. He is the father of three K-12 home schooled children (now grown).
To visit Amazon and purchase a copy of this book JUST CLICK HERE, or borrow the book from your local library.
(Full disclosure: We are Amazon Associates. Purchasing through this link provides a commission to 7Sisters.)