Written to accompany ancient Greek philosopher Plato’s app. 380 BC Socratic dialogue, this literature study guide by Sabrina Justison helps you get the most out of Republic of Plato Parts I & II.
Literature study guides from 7Sisters Homeschool inspire students rather than tire them with busywork that kills the story.
A note from Sabrina Justison, author of this high school literature study guide for the Republic of Plato:
While you may use any translation of Plato’s Republic, this study guide was created using Francis MacDonald Cornford’s translation. This Study Guide is only created for use with Parts I and II (there are FIVE parts total made up of multiple chapters). The reading is demanding for high school students, and therefore I elected to use only part of this otherwise overwhelming text.
The sections covered are (in order):
- “Some Current Views of Justice (as honesty in word and deed, as helping friends and harming enemies, as the interest of the stronger, and ‘Is injustice more profitable than justice?’)
- “Justice in the State and in the Individual (the problem stated, the rudiments of social organization, the luxurious state, the guardian’s temperament, primary education of the guardians, selection of rulers, the guardians’ duties, the virtues in the state, the three parts of the soul, the virtues in the individual, the equality of women, abolition of the family for the guardians, usages of war)
In case the translation you use is labeled differently, I hope that including these section titles will help you to determine which sections of Republic to assign for reading as you use this study guide.
Instead of attempting to examine every element of a book on the first reading, our study guides choose two or three respected literary devices and use them as a focal point.
Our guides are easy to adapt for use at an:
- Average High School
- College Prep
- Honors Level
Republic of Plato Study Guide
Focuses on the following literary devices:
- expository writing
The suggested writing assignments:
- delves into the philosophical ideas debated
- evaluates Socratic method of instruction by dialogue
This NO-busywork study guide enriches the reading of the book for your homeschooled high school student.
Republic of Plato Study Guide
is an EBook curriculum complete with:
- background information
- discussion questions by chapter
- suggested writing assignments
- answer key
This product downloads as two separate PDF files. One file is intended for student use. This document contains fillable fields so students can type their answers directly into the guide. The other document is the answer key, intended for the parent.
Click here to view an excerpt from Republic of Plato Study Guide.
To visit Amazon and purchase a copy of this classic JUST CLICK HERE, or borrow the book from your local library.
(Full disclosure: We are Amazon Associates. Purchasing through this link provides a commission to 7Sisters.)
10-Day No-Questions-Asked Money-Back Guarantee on all 7Sisters EBook curriculum.