Corduroy was chosen by School Library Journal as one of the Top 100 Picture Books of All Time. 7Sisters Literature Activity Guide for Corduroy is a terrific family read-aloud that guides younger elementary students through developmentally-appropriate phonics and comprehension skills.
Elementary Literature Activity Guide for Corduroy is designed to teach and/or reinforce necessary skills for students who are in the process of learning to read. Each 7Sisters activity guide helps young readers practice individual skills while maintaining an appreciation of the literature. Good readers love reading!
Synopsis: A little stuffed bear in a department store wants a home. After a night of adventure in the department store, he finds one!
Readability Level: middle of 3rd grade
7Sisters Elementary Literature Activity Guide for Corduroy by Don Freeman includes:
- Phonics component: various ways to spell the /ow/ (as in how) sound
- Comprehension skill: Realism vs. Fantasy, and Setting
- Story Elements: Children identify elements common to all fictional stories.
- Phonics / Grammar: Students practice a skill with a sorting activity using words from the story itself (plus a few others thrown in, for good measure).
- Vocabulary: Young readers learn new words using the “Roll’em & Read’em” activity sheet.
- Comprehension: Children develop their skills using an activity sheet based on the book.
- Research: Students are encouraged to further study topics related to the story.
7Sisters’ Elementary Activity Guides are by Wayne Thorp, a veteran elementary school teacher with over thirty years experience teaching grades one through three. He is the father of three K-12 home schooled children (now grown).
To visit Amazon and purchase a copy of this book JUST CLICK HERE, or borrow the book from your local library.
(Full disclosure: We are Amazon Associates. Purchasing through this link provides a commission to 7Sisters.)