The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski is the beautiful story of an old wood carver transformed by the miracle of Christmas.
Elementary Literature Activity Guide for The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey is designed to teach and/or reinforce necessary skills for students who are in the process of learning to read. Each 7Sisters activity guide helps young readers practice individual skills while maintaining an appreciation of the literature. Good readers love reading!
Synopsis: Jonathan Toomey is a woodcarver who doesn’t seem to like people. He never smiles or laughs. One day in December he begins to change when a young widow and her son ask him to carve a new crèche. Read along and watch a miraculous transformation.
Readability Level: end of 5th grade
7Sisters Elementary Literature Activity Guide for The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey includes:
- Comprehension skill: Sequencing, Setting, Character Development
- Phonics component: Adding ing
- Story Elements: Children identify elements common to all fictional stories
- Phonics / Grammar: Students practice a skill with a sorting activity using words from the story itself (plus a few others thrown in, for good measure)
- Vocabulary: Young readers learn new words using the “Roll’em & Read’em” activity sheet
- Comprehension: Children develop their skills using an activity sheet based on the book
- Research: Students are encouraged to further study topics related to the story
7Sisters’ Elementary Activity Guides are by Wayne Thorp, a veteran elementary school teacher with over thirty years experience teaching grades one through three. He is the father of three K-12 home schooled children (now grown).
To visit Amazon and purchase a copy of this book JUST CLICK HERE, or borrow the book from your local library.
(Full disclosure: We are Amazon Associates. Purchasing through this link provides a commission to 7Sisters.)