This week on HSHSP Ep 152 Get Homeschool High School Organized, Interview with Melanie Wilson. This post is running concurrently on the Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network.
We were so excited to have this interview with Melanie Wilson of the Homeschool Sanity Podcast. Melanie is an old homeschool friend of ours so we LOVE hanging out together, whether in person at the 2:1 Conference or digitally. We’re so blessed to be able to share her wisdom about organization with all our HSHSP friends!
We love to visual Melanie juggling flaming bowling balls… not really, but she is the queen of organizing many things:
- Her family (all 6 kids)
- Her homeschooling
- Her podcast, blog
- Her curriculum: Grammar Galaxy
- Her WONDERFUL new book, A Year of Living Productively
Melanie takes seriously the task of balancing self-care, time with husband, time with family, professional life and fun. She’s noticed that what works for her, must be adapted to the skills, needs and gifts of each of her teens.
How do you help teens find an organizational style?
Start with a conversation. Explain how you have discovered your style and how your approach has changed over time.
Emphasize the flexibility to adjust to various situations.
Approach them with an experimental, non-judgmental attitude. Help them become their own scientists: treat themselves like an experimental subject:
- Note their natural approach to getting projects done. Ask how it works for them? (Does it work well? Is it not going well?)
- Help the brainstorm approaches to try.
- Guide them through concluding whether each approach works or not.
- Decide on the best approach.
Melanie’s book, A Year of Living Productively, takes the same process for moms: Make yourself a scientist, experiment with approaches to organization and notice what works and what doesn’t. Her book contains 80 different task approaches to try…because she knows there’s not ONE right way to get your homeschool high school organized.
One of the lovely things about the book is that teens can download the forms and put them in their portfolios. Moms will love the tracking forms for themselves.
Download A Year of Living Productively for yourself and your homeschool high schoolers and have a better-organized life. Give a copy to your teens and highlight these chapters that Melanie has found effective for teens:
- Start Early
- Eat That Frog
- Little & Often
- Focus & Relief
- Adequate Sleep
- Sacred Time
- Change the Work Environment
- See Also ADD/ADHD/Easily Distracted
Melanie’s #1 piece of advice for homeschool moms and teens:
For a happy, healthy homeschool life: Learn and implement the skills of boundary setting and focusing your attention on who and what is important in your life.
Join Melanie Wilson, Sabrina, Vicki and Kym for lots of fun and inspirational information on getting organized.
You’ll also enjoy this episode of Homeschool Highschool Podcast: Conquering Crunchtime Craziness.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO HSHSP VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our iTunes page.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Homeschool Highschool Podcast logo, click on View in iTunes
- This will take you to iTunes and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Homeschool Highschool Podcast
- Tap the Homeschool Highschool Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*
- Please tap *Ratings and Review* and give us some stars and a comment to help others find us more easily.