This week onHomeschool Highschool Podcast Ep 131: Handling Homeschool Countdowns! This post is running concurrently on the Ultimate Homeschool Highschool Network.
Homeschool Highschool Podcast Ep 131: Handling Homeschool Countdowns
What to do when you feel a countdown coming on…
- Vacation is coming!
- Christmas is coming!
- SATs are coming!
- Missions trip is coming!
- Portfolio reviews are coming!
- College applications are coming!
- Graduation is coming!
Are you ready enough? What if you don’t get everything done? What do you do?
Start with self-care. Really! It’s like putting your own oxygen mask on first.
- Recognize what you are feeling. Stressed out from the crunch time?
- How do you handle the stress? What are you modeling for your kids?
- Use Scheduling Backwards to get time under control (use our freebie download)
- Do your deep breathing exercises (download this freebie how-to from Vicki Tillman Coaching)
- Breathing lowers the stress hormones and helps you manage stress
- Watch your blood sugar (stress messes with your blood sugar levels). If your blood sugar tanks, you might feel angry or tearful. Get something healthy to eat!
- In fact, beware of the HALT (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired)
Talk to your kids about managing pressure and stress.
Also, take Kym’s advice: Remember, there are some wrong ways to handle stress.
- Ignoring your stress
- Taking your stress out on other people
Take Vicki’s advice: Teach your kids the 3W’s
- What am I feeling?
- Why am I feeling that way?
- What am I going to do about it?
Find an appropriate person to talk about the stress. Also teach your kids the 6 degrees of separation of relationships. This helps your teens know who to talk about your stress. Read this post from Vicki Tillman Coaching on how to discern who is safe.
Then write down what you’re going to do about the stress! It helps you be accountable.
- In a marble composition book like Sabrina does
- On your phone like Vicki does
Remember: Apologize when necessary. It’s okay (and necessary modeling).
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO HSHSP VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our iTunes page.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Homeschool Highschool Podcast logo, click on View in iTunes
- This will take you to iTunes and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Homeschool Highschool Podcast
- Tap the Homeschool Highschool Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*
- Please tap *Ratings and Review* and give us some stars and a comment to help others find us more easily.