Here are 5 worthwhile ways to sparkle up high school health credits.
5 Worthwhile Ways to Sparkle Up High School Health Credits
Health credits can be some of the most boring of all credits for the homeschool high school transcript! Or not!
When teens have the opportunity to get useful life-skills training in their high school health course, they tend to appreciate it more…and not be so *whatever*.
Lucky for us at 7Sisters, we have had lots of moms with great ideas when we were teaching health in our homeschool co-ops. Based on our experience, here are 5 to make high school health credits more useful.
* Teach CPR and First Aid. We were blessed to have Red Cross certified trainers come to our co-op and work through their CPR and First Aid courses. Our teens were excited to learn real-life skills. Log hours if your teens are using this to level up the rigor of their course for the transcript.
* Have teens develop their own fitness and nutrition plans. As they cover these health units, have teens plan then journal about their experiences. Be sure to have discussions about their experiences so that they learn to keep self-care in a healthy range. Be sure to discuss eating disorders (teens are likely to meet students with eating disorders in their youth groups or when they go to college, it is a common problem). Here is a free curriculum. Log hours if your teens are using this to level up the rigor of their course for the transcript.
* Hold a mental health and suicide prevention unit. It can be as simple as covering the “Helping a Friend in Trouble” chapter in 7Sisters’ Introduction to Psychology from a Christian Perspective, discussing maintaining mental health, to taking an actual course such as H.E.L.P or Asist. Log hours if your teens are using this to level up the rigor of their course for the transcript.
Here are 3 posts from my coaching website that are good emotional health/fitness discussion tools:
- Aiming for an Emotionally Healthy Life? Here are 5 Things You Must Believe about You.
- 7 Achievable Ways to Enhance Your Emotional Health
- 5 Emotionally Healthy Reasons to Find 5 Emotionally Healthy Friends
* Educate teens on the current opioid crisis, along with other current drug-culture issues. Many teens will run into friends with substance issues in college. It’s better to be educated now. Here’s a good government website. Log hours if your teens are using this to level up the rigor of their course for the transcript.
* Create an honors credit by adding Human Development following College Prep instructions in 7Sisters Human Development from a Christian Worldview text. Human Development helps teens understand how people grow and change physically, mentally and socially from womb to old age. This is a perfect add-on course for increasing the rigor level of your teens’ Health credit. Here’s more how-to information.
Make the most of your teens’ homeschool high school health credit!
BTW- We’re not affiliates with any of the above links (except 7Sisters, of course).