This week on HSHSP Ep 94: Choosing College Degrees Interview with Dr. Renae Duncan. This post is running concurrently on Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network.
How do you help your teen know what kind of college degree they need in order to achieve their goals? That’s an important question!
Join us for an interview with Dr. Renae Duncan, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education at Murray State University. Dr. Duncan has been helping young people along their college journey for many years and can give us some useful tips in understanding the many college degrees that are available.
Vicki and Renae discuss topic such as:
What’s the difference between?
- Associates of Arts (differ from 4 year degrees in the numbers of maths and sciences)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree (often more foreign languages and general education in the degree than BS)
- Bachelor of Science
Other specialized degrees will vary from college to college, such as:
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor in Nursing
- Bachelor in Music
- Bachelor in Fine Arts
What is a Liberal Arts degree? Why can that be better than a straight STEM degree, even if you’re a science major?
- Why are degrees that promote thinking skills and soft skills valuable in today’s workforce?
- Remember the college major provides skills for a career specialty but the General Education requirements provides the employability skills.
Here are tips for choosing which degree is best for your homeschool high schooler:
- Do Career Exploration. No way around it! A comprehensive Career Exploration course will help a teen clarify values, needs, giftings, interests and callings. These are determining factors in choosing which major AND which degree is a best fit.
- Take college tours: Ask questions like: Why is your BA program better than others? What makes your program BA or BS? There is no substitution for walking onto a campus and talking to the staff there- person to person.
- Talk to some students or graduates from each college you visit. Ask their opinions on the degree offered.
To sum it all up: What is the best major? The one that fits your goals for life!
Join Dr. Renae Duncan, Associate Provost of Murray State University and Vicki for this enlightening conversation. In the meantime, enjoy these posts.