Thinking about it? Here are 5 success tips for starting to homeschool high school.
5 Success Tips for Starting to Homeschool High School
Thinking about homeschooling high school? If so, you’ll feel more confident when you start off well. Here are 5 success tips for starting to homeschool high school:
*Pray about it- Of course! You don’t want to start any venture without God’s guidance. Prayer is the most important tip for success.
*Know your teen- Is your teen college bound? Career bound? STEM major? History buff? Hands-on learner? Voracious reader? Career exploration can help with this because it is a subject that helps your teen discover himself. You also know your teen; write a description of your teen so that you can choose:
- types of core courses
- level of rigor for core courses
- categories of electives
- extracurricular and service experiences
*Know yourself- Honestly evaluate the types of educational experiences, literature and curriculum that you genuinely enjoy. Do they match up with your teen’s learning interests and style? If not, pray about how you’ll adjust to stretching your comfort zone (and maybe your teen’s comfort zone).
*Get some training- Don’t reinvent the wheel. There’s great training for parents of new homeschool high schoolers! Our favorite is our own self-paced, online course for parents: Homeschool High School: You CAN Do It!
Homeschool High School: You CAN Do It! is a 15-lesson course with videos, written lessons and downloadables. You will learn:
- Why Homeschool High School?
- What Must Be Covered?
- What Is a Credit And How Do You Earn One?
- How Do You Earn a Language Arts Credit?
- What Are Levels for High School Credits?
- What Are Some General Expectations for Student Accomplishment Each Year?
- Whom Do You Need?
- What Is Your Vision?
- How Do You Set Your 4-Year Goals?
- How Do You Set Your 1-Year Goals?
- How Do You Match Curriculum to Your Student?
- How Do You Create a Transcript?
- How Do You Assign Grades and GPA?
- How Do You Choose Electives?
*Listen to Lessons Learned Homeschooling High School on The Homeschool Sanity Show– Learn from those who have already been there. We join Dr. Melanie Wilson to talk about the things we all have learned homeschooling high school.
These 5 success tips are a great place to start when you are thinking about homeschooling high school. Contact us, too, if you’d like some coaching!