Here are 3 activities for homeschool high school co-op Literature class.
Our homeschool high school co-op and group literature classes have been in-demand for years. That’s because Sister Sabrina teaches them. She engages the teens with:
- choices of novels and biographies that inspire aspirations
- study guide work that truly guides student learning without killing the subject
- GREAT group activities
Here are some of our homeschool high schoolers’ favorite activities in lit class at co-op:
- Ask who liked (and didn’t like) the book and ask why.
- Pick a character in the book and ask who, in our homeschool community does he/she remind you of?
- Identify the “voice” of the author (didactic, humorous, etc).
- Using the voice of the author, write an announcement for an event that will happen at co-op.
Sabrina likes to get the students in groups of two or three to work on quick writing assignments like one above. My son gets a kick out of the brainstorming and laughter that happens as he and his fellow homeschoolers hammer out creative ideas. The peers then learn from each other as the groups share their assignments with the rest of the class.
Here are 10 of our homeschool high schoolers’ favorite books (very often, these books are free or inexpensive on Kindle). I’m including links to study guides:
- Anne of Green Gables (Study Guide is FREE)
- God’s Smuggler
- The Good Earth
- The Hiding Place
- The Hobbit
- Les Miserables
- Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats
- Pilgrim’s Progress
- The Three Musketeers
Study guides are useful tools for homeschoolers because they give teen a chance to learn independently.
Study guides can also benefit co-ops or group classes:
- The class teacher can share background information with the group.
- Students work through the study guide questions and vocabulary as they read the book at home.
- Suggested activities in the book and those above are completed during classtime.
- Homeschool high school literature is fun in a co-op or group class setting!
3 Activities for Homeschool High School Co-op Literature Class