What are types of courses for homeschool transcript will your high schooler need?
Types of Courses for Homeschool Transcript
As homeschool advisor during the last couple of decades, I got lots of questions about the types of courses for the homeschool transcript. It is important to make sure you include these 4 types of courses so that your teens’ transcripts prepare your teen for life and are attractive to colleges (for those who are college-bound).
Here are the 4 necessary types of courses for the homeschool transcript:
These are the basic academic courses needed by all homeschool high schoolers for graduation. Check HSLDA for state requirements for the exact number of each of these courses. Here is a post on earning credits and assigning levels.
- English/Language Arts. Check out 7 Sisters’ user-friendly, affordable, no-busy-work eStudy Guides for Literature and Writing.
- Social Studies (Check out 7Sisters no busywork, inspiring History and Philosophy of the Western World, and Introduction to Psychology from a Christian Perspective)
- World Languages (Foreign Languages)
Other State Requirements. Here are some common subjects that vary as far as requirements by state but DEFINITELY build sparkle on a homeschool transcript!
- Financial Literacy (Download our teens’ favorite: Financial Literacy from a Christian Perspective)
- Health (Our local homeschoolers often prefer the GREAT prep-for-life health course: Human Development)
- Phys Ed
- Fine Arts (music, art, drama, dance- varies by state). Check our awesome drama resources here.
Elective Courses (courses that are of special interest to your homeschooler). Here are some our local homeschoolers have completed (although some of these might fit under Core or Other categories, they were beyond and above the basic requirements):
- Praise Band
- Civil War Studies
- Food and Nutrition Science
Career Exploration (these include specific Career Exploration texts, apprenticeships, courses that introduce a possible career option):
- Career Exploration Course
- Recording Industry
- Hospital *Explorer’s Post*
- Civil Air Patrol
- Architecture texts
- Teacher’s Aid in local elementary school
- Home maintenance courses
- Early Childhood Education curriculum