The Secret to REAL Time Management
“So don't make yourself crazy trying to get dinner figured out, or the grocery
list made and the food bought. And while the laundry has to get done (if the
kids aren't going to run around the neighborhood naked), it's not actually the
end of the world if it's not all caught up and folded. Sure, most people you
know in this society run around like chickens with their heads cut off trying
to get it all done, but you are a child of God. Your Father is looking out for
you; He knows what you and your family need, and He'll make sure you are
taken care of. The key is for you to keep your focus on what HE has on your
agenda for any given day. Take your marching orders from HIM, and the rest
of the details will be covered.”
Matthew 6:31-33 (Sabrina's Chatty Paraphrase)
We need our attention drawn to the things that SHOULD be our focus, or they will get lost in the busyness of all the things that clamor for our attention day to day. By intentionally focusing our attention on the God-designed priorities that often get lost in the shuffle, we are giving ourselves the opportunity to plan time for them before it is too late. By reminding ourselves of our long-term goals for the year, we are giving ourselves the opportunity to work proactively instead of reacting when a crisis point arrives.
A year and a half-ago, I began actively seeking wisdom from God about how to put this truth into practical use. The process of scheduling backwards is the result of that quest.
In short, scheduling backwards is a process of simple steps that can be followed in one hour each month to help you
- REMEMBER the big picture God has shown you for you, your family, and the world in which you live;
- EVALUATE the activities that clamor for your time and energy;
- PRIORITIZE those activities in light of God's word and the dreams in your heart; and
- IMPLEMENT a wise plan of attack for the upcoming weeks.
Is this post a shameless pitch for the article for sale in our Ebookstore for about the cost of a pumpkin spice cappuccino?
I'm afraid it is. Honestly, scheduling backwards has revolutionized my super-duper-busy life. It hasn't given me more hours in the day, but it has given me a tremendous awareness of what God is actually accomplishing in me and through me each day. It has removed much of the feeling that "I'll never get it all done!" (Hey, I'm a mom! I'd be lying if I said it had removed every single bit of that feeling!)
* If you knew that setting aside ONE HOUR PER MONTH would reduce stress for the rest of the days on that page of the calendar...
* if you knew that ONE HOUR PER MONTH would open your eyes and ears to the God-appointed opportunities that are presented to you each day...
* if you knew that ONE HOUR PER MONTH would move you tangibly toward the dreams that are firmly in your heart but seem a long way off right now...
* if you knew that ONE HOUR PER MONTH would make you more efficient and effective every single day of the year...
COULD YOU FIND ONE HOUR PER MONTH FOR SCHEDULING BACKWARDS?