I love our umbrella school. Colleges like our umbrella school, too. Umbrella schools are cool!
Umbrella schools in our area do these things:
1) serve as liaison with state department of education
2) provide academic advising
3) develop powerful transcripts for our high schoolers
4) handle school portions of college applications and reference letters
5) provide group classes in certain courses
In the Delaware area, homeschooling is huge. Locally, there are several umbrella schools to choose from; each with strong traditions of student acceptance to colleges and life preparation.
Our umbrella schools were started by homeschooling families that wanted to band together for stronger academic support.
– They studied state regulations for nonpublic schools and requirements for graduation.
– They connected with local colleges to ascertain what would make students attractive for admissions.
– They worked to assure that students showed quality and integrity on their transcripts.
Over the years, the schools have been able to develop strong group classes one or two days per week, drama, music, social, and sports programs for high schoolers.
Our teens have the benefit of our own education at home, but also the delight of positive peer support and wisdom from other godly teachers.
The local programs have been around long enough that a few of the kids who have graduated have wed and begun families. What a blessing!
If there is not an umbrella school in your area, you might enjoy a co-op or support group. If you need to start your own, check out our how-to guides at the e-bookstore.
Also, we’d love to help you get started. Check out our coaching page for information on how our coaches can help.