Here are at least 5 reasons we need the Holy Spirit in our homeschools. This is an update of a classic post.
At Least 5 Reasons We Need the Holy Spirit in Our Homeschools
There’s just NO hope!
That is, there’s just no hope of pulling off a successful homeschool year without help from the Holy Spirit! However, I get tempted ALL the time to do it myself:
- help my homeschool high schoolers develop a great transcript
- improve their character qualities and social skills
- invest in their talents
- serve their community
Then I wonder why I get worried! How about you?
So, here’s a reminder to me (and you, if you tend to forget Who’s Who), here are some reasons why we need the Holy Spirit in our homeschools.
* I need Him because I have yet to astound any of my children with the fruit of the Spirit I exhibit!
I don’t think I’ve ever heard them say, “Goodness Me, I have SUCH a patient Mom!” (I just finished reading Frances Chan’s Forgotten God, where he challenged readers to astound the world around us by being so immersed in the Holy Spirit that great fruit is evident in us.) I need the Holy Spirit to grow that fruit in me. How about you?
* I need Him because I can *sure-enough* plan my teens’ education way, but it is better to let Him direct their educational paths.
I epic-fail in the area of omnipotence, so I need the Holy Spirit to do the leading. I need to stay connected to Him in prayer, listening and Scripture so I understand His guidance: especially in homeschooling, where so many decisions have to be made:
- curriculum (which ones? Will I have to scrap this schoolbook?)
- format (home, online, co-op, group classes?)
- future (college, career, military, missions, gap year?)
How about you?
* I need Him because I am afraid I’ll mess up.
and I’m right! I need His comfort when I fall short of the glory of God. How about you?
* I need Him because He knows my kids better than I do.
He is the One who is the character developer…not me. He is the talent-giver. He knows what my kids need and when.
* I need Him because He can help me pray.
Romans 8:26 reminds me that I actually don’t know what to pray, but that the Holy Spirit will help me in that weakness by making intercession for me. Praise God! I need His help…all the time!
*I need Him because I can’t control the outcomes for my homeschool high schoolers.
As much as I’d like to…
Well, that’s a start. I know there are MANY more reasons. What are some reasons that YOU need the Holy Spirit in your homeschool?