Here is how to use 7Sisters Essay Writing Guides in homeschool co-op.
How to Use 7Sisters Essay Writing Guides in Homeschool Co-op
7Sister Marilyn wrote our essay curricula and has been teaching it in co-ops and group classes for years. Here are her tips for teaching essay writing in homeschool co-op.
Using 7 Sisters essay curriculum in a co-op or day school? Here are some ideas to get the most from your experience:
- Choose the curriculum that best fits the students: middle school, introductory (students with little or no essay-writing experience), intermediate (students with some experience writing essays), or advanced (students with experience writing essays).
- On class or co-op day, review the week’s lesson with the students. It can be very helpful to practice writing a group essay. This can be accomplished by writing on a white board or, better yet, using a projector hooked up to your computer. Using your computer allows you to save the essay from one week to the next or to send it to the class to use as a guide.
- Keep the topics simple; the focus is on learning essay format and writing, especially for students with little or no essay experience.
- During the week, the students should follow the guide to work on their own assignments. The week’s lessons reinforce the lesson you taught that week. The assignments for each day are broken down into small chunks and are designed so that most students should be able to work independently.
- The next week, students hand in the assignments worked on at home.
- Grade the finished essays using the rubric included in the guide.*
* Since the goal of a writing class is for students to improve their writing, I allow the students 2 weeks to re-write an essay after it has been handed back. They are awarded the higher grade.
Download an essay guide today!