Here are 2 valuable writing projects for developing critical thinking skills for teens.
2 Writing Projects for Developing Critical Thinking Skills for Teens
When your homeschool high schoolers dons their caps and gowns and receive their diplomas, you probably hope they are not only skilled academically but also skilled in life.
One life skill that is of utmost importance is critical thinking. A young adult who can use critical thinking skills will be better at:
- Avoiding scams
- Spotting fake news
- Presenting ideas that are important to them
- Making decisions
One amazing way of developing critical thinking skills is using homeschool high school writing projects. That way, teens get the important Language Arts requirements done for the transcript (Learn what goes into a good Language Arts credit here.) They also gain valuable wisdom by sorting through information and data to hone a good “argument”.
Here are 2 writing projects for developing critical thinking skills for teens:
Essay Writing- Critical thinking is what essays are all about, especially the 5-paragraph essay, where teens must choose an idea to develop and defend that idea with clarity and truth. (Adults could use this skill, too!)
These short, 5-paragraph essays help teens to capture and condense their thoughts. They learn that they can escape the bad habits of wandering off topic, choosing poor examples.
Research Papers- Research papers extend the critical thinking skills your homeschool high schoolers learn when writing their essays. An MLA-style research paper is an excellent assignment to follow your teens’ essay curriculum.
Just as teens choose and develop a thesis in each essay, they do the same with their MLA paper. Then they defend the essay in-depth.
- Are presenting information that clearly supports the thesis
- Meet SCAM qualifications to have trustworthy sources of information
- Avoid plagiarism
- User-friendly, understandable
- No-busywork, not wasting teens’ time with useless time-fillers
- Adaptable to different levels of academic ability
- Include rubrics for grading
- Will have follow-up essay curriculum for the next year, so that teens can build skills
- AND useful for building critical thinking skills through each lesson
7SistersHomeschool.com’s tested and true curriculum for essay writing and for research paper writing meets the these standards. Download your copies of essay writing curriculum and MLA research paper curriculum today!