Why "Human Development from a Christian Worldview" Is a Required Subject in Our Homeschool

By Sabrina Justison on 01 March 2011 / Curricula, High School, Science, Psych, & Health / 11 Comments

Three of my four homeschooled high schoolers have now used Vicki Tillman's Human Development from a Christian Worldview curriculum, and #4 will use it, too, when the time is right for him.

Why do I like this curriculum so much?

* We are all humans. We should understand how humans grow and change through the many stages of life.  How will we understand ourselves or the people around us if we never take time to observe and learn about the developmental process?

* This text is truly written "from a Christian Worldview." It starts with recognizing God's amazing design, and then helps the student focus on God's amazing plans for sustaining us through every new  stage of development.

* The material in the text is practical. The suggested activities are not only easy to do, they are fun and facilitate a real mastery of the subject matter.  Whether my kids used this book in a learning co-op class setting or as an independent study course, they were able to implement practical applications of the material as they completed their book-work.

* Studying Human Development strengthens a young adult's grasp on health and interpersonal relationships. It blesses the student himself and the people around him.  When my high-school senior worked through the chapter on adolescents, he came to me and admitted that he was feeling convicted about not being enough of an encouragement to his 13-year-old brother.  He said studying that chapter opened his eyes to how hard it is to have self-confidence when your body, voice, and emotions are all in flux.

* The subject is foundational for college coursework in your student's future. My daughter is currently taking Human Development at Towson University, and she already feels confident about her understanding of much of the material in her studies there as an education major.

Are you sure your high-schoolers are prepared to leave high school without a course in Human Development?

If you like this post, you should read Vicki's thoughts on 6 Reasons Your Christian High Schooler Needs Human Development.

Related Posts:

11 Comments

• Pingback: New Text Reveals: Boys Become Humans | 7sistershomeschool.com

• kym

March 2, 2011 9:21 pm

Preach it, Sister!

We are firm believers in Human Development! Not only are we glad God designed us to develop, but I am a huge proponent of it as a required course in our homeschool!

This is another one of those subjects, like Consumer Math, that we all need to be aware of and have at a least a basic understanding. That knowledge makes it so much easier when we and our loved ones go through all those funky transitions.

Thanks for the great thoughts, Sabrina.

• Pingback: Winner Wednesday! – Human Development from a Christian Worldview | 7sistershomeschool.com

• outofthepast90

March 1, 2011 10:42 pm

I took it in high school. It's not a difficult curriculum to use at all. Everything is laid out very straight forward making it easy to understand. But it is also just really interesting and definitely gives a really good basis for science and psychology courses later in both high school and college.

• Sabrina

March 3, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for weighing in from the student perspective!

• BekahGroop

March 1, 2011 2:15 pm

I took the course through co-op my freshman year in high school and it was really awesome. The material was easy to understand and it gave a sturdy over-view of the lifespan development. I'm actually currently taking human development in college now and it's amazing how much I still remember about this course as a freshman in college that I took as a freshman in high school. Great stuff!

• Sabrina

March 3, 2011 2:47 pm

Does the worldview differ significantly in your college course, Bekah? Vicki's text pointed to the handiwork and plan of God in the different developmental stages, and I would imagine the text you're using now does not. Lots of difference in the tone of the material?

• BekahGroop

March 3, 2011 2:56 pm

The focus is from a unbiased perspective. There is no talk about God or any other super force that brings all these things into perfect alignment and creation. It's neat knowing the truth about where it comes from even though the curriculum makes no mention of God's handiwork. Professor Fracasso just continues to say, "It's a very DYNAMIC and COMPLICATED process." The explanation ceases there.

• Sara Hayes

March 1, 2011 2:05 pm

Nicely said, Sabrina! My youngest son is currently taking Human Development at Mt. Sophia Academy, and he's really enjoying it. Wish I could have had such a practical course during my high school years!

• Marilyn Groop

March 1, 2011 9:20 am

Most of my older children have taken this course and it has helped them understand how people grow and change. It is fun to now have a grandchild and see how she is developing - right along the usual patterns!

• Bridgette

March 1, 2011 9:04 am

I think everyone needs a refresher course in this subject; it's valuable for BOTH parent and student :)